Cash prizes to be won in 51 second film making challenge.
Truro based production company o-region have once again teamed up with Falmouth University and WTW’s Plaza Cinema to run its annual film making challenge. The rules are simple make a film of any form which lasts no longer than 51 seconds (including credits) on the theme of ‘1967 / The Summer of Love’.
A total of 51 films will be shortlisted to be shown on the big screen at The Plaza Cinema in Truro on Wednesday 4th of May and a panel of judges will award cash prizes from £150 up to £500 for Best Film, Best Student Film, Audience Favourite and Runners up.
The Film Challenge is an open competition and has in recent years drawn entries from all over the UK and as far afield as the USA and China. This year there is an extra incentive for Cornish filmmakers who, through generous sponsorship from Falmouth University receive free entry. For more information on the rules and regulations for the competition check https://filmfreeway.com/TheRoughcut51SecondFilmChallenge
Competition organiser Brett Harvey (dir. Brown Willy) said ‘This will be the third year in a row that we’ve hosted a film challenge. We always get an amazing selection of films and this year with more prize money, a great theme and free entry for Cornish filmmakers, we’re hoping for our most successful year yet’.
The closing date for the competition is Thursday 13th of April (exactly 51 days after its launch on 22nd of Feb) so pick up those cameras and get filming.
• BEST FILM – £500 and trophy – to be selected by the judging panel
• SILVER RUNNER UP – £350 – to be selected by the judging panel
• BRONZE RUNNER UP – £150 – to be selected by the judging panel
• BEST YOUNG PERSONS FILM (under 18s) – £250 – to be selected by the judging panel
• AUDIENCE AWARD – £250 and trophy – a public vote on the night of the screening
• Bonus Prizes to be handed out on the night
• Free entry for Filmmakers based in Cornwall – filmmaker must have a valid Cornwall based postcode to be eligible.