An ex- serviceman from Camborne who once hit the national headlines when he said he couldn’t get a job because people were discriminating against his false leg has now been prosecuted at Truro Crown Court for carrying out some extra work of his own that HSE said could’ve killed someone.
Former petty officer Mark Cock of Camborne hit the news in 2012 when he said he’d been turned down for 2,600 jobs in a year because of his disability. Mr Cock had his limb amputated following a horrific car accident and said that employers cannot look past the fact he is disabled.
Since then Mr Cock found work with British Gas and trained to install smart meters in people’s homes.
“I am MOCOPA Trained & Qualified along with City & Guilds Diploma in Smart Meter Engineering as well as standard meter installations, I am also Gas Safe registered. As I am ex military I would also like to be a Chauffeur/Driver under the CPO industry” Cock describes himself on his online profile.
MORE CORNISH NEWS
However Cock’s admirable zest for employment has now got him in hot water.
Last week Truro Crown Court heard how the ex sailor had started a cheeky sideline in self employment that could have had lethal consequences. Once his shift with British Gas was done, Cock kept his uniform on after hours and used his British Gas van to carry out private work, giving the homeowner the impression that he was doing the work on behalf of British Gas, without the company’s knowledge.
The court heard how in one instance Cock undertook the installation of a liquid petroleum gas (LPG) boiler at a property in Camborne in February 2017.
A properly registered gas engineer later inspected the work and found it to be of an extremely poor standard and classed it as ‘immediately dangerous’.
An investigation by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) found that Mr Cock was employed by British Gas at the time but that he was only employed and trained to undertake a very limited range of work on gas meters.
Cock pleaded guilty and was sentenced to 15 months in prison, suspended for two years.
Speaking after the hearing HSE inspector Simon Jones said: “Mr Cock undertook gas work which he knew he was not registered to do and was of such a poor standard that it could have killed the homeowners and neighbours of the property.
“All gas work must be done by a registered Gas Safe engineer to ensure the highest standards are met to prevent injury and loss of life.”