West Area Planning Decisions

Planning Decisions by Cornwall Council West Area Planning Committee

By Richard Whitehouse, Local Democracy Reporter

 

St Ives car park changes approved

A car park in St Ives is set to be altered with a new bus turning area, bus stop and shelter despite concerns that the changes to the bus route will affect disabled and elderly people.

Cornwall Council had applied for planning permission for the changes to Trenwith Car Park, which it owns and operates.

The changes are in two phases with the first being the construction of a bus turning facility, bus stop and shelter.

Under the second phase part of the grassed area of the car park, which is currently used as an overflow, would be surfaced to create new spaces to make up for those lost through the bus facilities.

The council’s west sub-area planning committee approved the plans unanimously when it met on Monday.

Under the plans buses would enter the car park, stop to collect passengers and then be able to complete and U-turn to exit the same way they came in.

By doing this the buses would avoid using narrow streets in the area.

However objectors on the council’s planning website raised concerns about the plans with some suggesting it was a waste of money.

Bruce Jones said: “If this was publicised properly to all that it affects then there would be a lot more valid objections added to this proposed planning app.

“More buses passing the junior school is a terrible idea when the way the services run now is perfectly fine as far as most locals are concerned.

“As for the construction itself, does the car park really need it? I don’t think many residents will agree that it does. I just wish the council would be as fast to spend money on things the town actually needs.

“It seems unfair that things are to be changed so drastically due to complaints from just a few. There will be a lot more complaints if this changes, believe me.”

Chris Jacobs added: “..

There are countless elderly ladies living nearby that use those buses as a lifeline to the town, it’s bad enough that they have to use taxis in the winter when the bus isn’t running but now you want to isolate them even more by stopping their bus services. Shame on you.”

But local Cornwall councillor Richard Robinson told the planning committee he was in support of the plans saying they had been talked about for at least four years.

He said parts of the route currently used by the buses were very narrow and taking them on the same route they come in on would make it safer.

Committee member Graham Coad proposed that the plans be supported saying: “This is a remarkably sensible and well thought out idea.”

The committee gave unanimous approval to the plans.

Plans for cabin refused

A log cabin which could be used by newlyweds and artists have been rejected.

Tremenheere Sculpture Garden had applied for planning permission to construct the cabin on land to the north of the garden site.

The self-contained single-storey building would have one bedroom and other facilities and be used by visiting artists and couples who had married on the site.

However planning officers had recommended that Cornwall Council’s west sub-area planning committee should refuse permission for the cabin.

Planning officer Adam Carlyon said that while officers were not opposed to the development itself the location was unsuitable and it would be better placed near to other buildings at the south of the gardens.

Ludgvan Parish Council had raised no objections to the plans while local Cornwall councillor Simon Elliott was in favour.

Cllr Simon Elliott (Con, Ludgvan)

He told the committee that a nearby “glamping” site and solar farm were more visible in the landscape and the planned cabin was no larger than some of the tents on the campsite.

Cllr Elliott added: “I do fully support the glamping site but I feel that this development should be supported because of that. It would be a real asset for the area.”

He said that if it was a standard residential dwelling then he would not be in support of it but as it was only being used on a holiday basis he felt it was acceptable.

The councillor also said that due to the nature of the building it would be able to be removed and the land returned to its original state if it was no longer being used.

However the committee agreed with the officers’ opinion that it would be harmful to the character of the area.

They voted to refuse with 12 in favour and three against.

Plans to rebuild cottage blocked

A couple’s plans to rebuild a derelict cottage have been thwarted after a planning committee rejected the proposals.

Richard Ward and his partner had wanted to reinstate the cottage which sits on Old Portreath Road, Redruth.

Under the plans the cottage would be rebuilt as a two-storey house with three bedrooms.

But planning officers said that because of the state of the remnants of the former cottage the proposals were not considered to be a reinstatement.

In the planning report it stated “The site is considered to be in the countryside.

“Although the proposal is termed ‘reinstatement’ the works required to create the dwelling would not constitute a conversion or reuse of existing building. The existing structure on site is the remnants of stone walling.”

Officers recommended refusal of the plans saying that they would not be in accord with the Cornwall Local Plan and would be “unjustified residential development”.

Mr Ward told councillors that the cottage would be on the footprint of the original building and said planning permission had been granted for two other homes along the same road.

He said it would be a two-minute walk to the nearest bus stop so would not be reliant on using a car.

Mr Ward said he wanted to ensure the derelict site did not fall into ruin and asked councillors to visit the site to see it for themselves.

Responding to questions from councillors Mr Ward said he believed the cottage had been used up until the 1970s but did not have any photographs to show what it might have looked like.

Redruth Town Council had unanimously supported the plans and they were also backed by local Cornwall councillor Stephen Barnes.

Cllr Stephen Barnes (Redruth North)

He said in a written submission: “This application has the unanimous support from Redruth Town Council planning committee. There is also support from George Eustice MP and from the applicant’s neighbour. With my support this looks like it only needs consent from the west planning committee to make it a full house.”

Committee members were sympathetic towards Mr Ward and said they would have liked to have supported the plans but there were strong policy reasons for not doing so.

Mike Thomas said he hoped Mr Ward would look again at the proposals and find a way that they would meet planning guidelines.

That was backed by committee chairman Mark Kaczmarek who said: “It is a house, a derelict house. I would like to see it brought back as a building. I hope that the applicants will come back with something else.”

The planning application was refused with eight votes in favour and five against.

New homes approved – Outline planning permission for new homes and demolition of barn

Plans to build three new homes on land at the edge of a small village have been approved despite being in open countryside.

Mr G Rodda and Mrs A Stacey had applied for outline planning permission to build up to three homes on land at Paul, near Mousehole.

They had originally applied to build up to five homes but reduced it to three after having meetings with Cornwall Council and local councillors.

Under the plans a barn near the development site, which could have been converted into homes, will be demolished.

The proposals only state that up to three homes would be built on the site with all other details being reserved matters – meaning they will be determined at a later date – and subject to another application.

Planning officers were in favour of the plans.

Planning officer Adam Carlyon said: “The agricultural building is conspicuous upon the approach to Paul and its removal in exchange for housing would enhance the area.”

The plans had previously gone to the committee but were deferred so that more negotiations could take place.

Local Cornwall councillor Roger Harding was backing the plans, having taken part in the discussions. He had previously asked for the plans to go to the committee over concerns about flooding and the site being in open countryside.

He told the committee: “Most people agree that there is a planning gain to remove the barn from that site. There is an opportunity to build three quality houses rather than converting that barn.”

Cllr Roger Harding (Con, Newlyn & Mousehole)

Cllr Harding’s only concerns were that conditions should be in place to ensure that the barn is removed and that a gap in a Cornish hedgerow is filled before work starts on the new homes.

Planning officers said that those conditions would be applied to the planning approval.

The planning committee voted unanimously in favour of granting outline planning permission.

 

 

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*